Welcome to Classical Images!
Description:Extremely scarce 4 sheet, very large (29 1/2in x 22in (750mm x 560mm) each sheet) lithograph map of Scotland by the famous 19th century map publisher Edward Stanford was published in 1895. (The map is not dated but we know that Stanford resided at the address noted on the map Cockspur St from 1885 to 1901). Also included is a smaller (20in x 14in 510mm x 360mm) original reference map that came with the 4 sheet publication.This is an extremely beautiful, detailed map of Scotland.
General Definitions:Paper thickness and quality: - Heavy and stablePaper color : - off whiteAge of map color: -Colors used: -General color appearance: -Paper size: - 29 1/2in x 22in (750mm x 560mm) each sheetPlate size: - 29 1/2in x 22in (750mm x 560mm) each sheetMargins: - Min 2in (50mm)
Imperfections:Margins: - NonePlate area: - NoneVerso: - None
Stanford, Edward 1827-1904Stanford was a prominent British mapmaker and publisher. A native of Holborn in the heart of London, Edward was apprenticed to a printer and stationer at the age of 14. After his first master died, he worked with several others, including Trelawny W. Saunders of Charing Cross. Saunders oversaw young Edward’s early career, ensuring that he became a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society. Associations with the Society eventually brought Sanders much business and gave him a reputation as a publisher of explorers. As testament to this reputation, the Stanford Range in British Columbia was named for him by John Palliser.Stanford briefly partnered with Saunders in 1852 before striking out on his own in 1853. He was an agent for the Ordnance Survey, the Admiralty, the Geological Survey, the Trigonometrical Survey of India, and the India Office. He also controlled the maps of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, another lucrative source of income. In 1857, Stanford founded his namesake Geographical Establishment, with Saunders and A. K. Johnston as engravers. Thereafter, Stanford was known for his library maps, particularly those of Africa and Asia.Although he had authored many maps, the Harrow Atlas of Modern Geography and a similar volume on classical geography, Stanford is better remembered today as the leader of a successful map business. Ever in search of more inventory, he acquired the plates and stock of John Arrowsmith, heir of the Arrowmsith family firm, in 1874. By 1881 he employed 87 people at his premises at 6 Charing Cross Road, Saunders’ old address. As he aged, he phased in his son Edward Jr. to run the business. He died in 1904. The business survived him, and the Stanford’s shop is still a prominent London landmark today.Stanford premises were located in the Strand, London from 1853 to 1884 and then Cockspur St from 1885 to 1901 locating to its present location in Covent Garden.