Welcome to Classical Images!
This large beautifully engraved hand coloured original antique map of the St Lawrence River, Canada was published by John Harrison in 1780.
Background:In 1535 two Indian youths told Jacques Cartier about the route to "Kanata." They were referring to the village of Stadacona; Kanata was simply the Huron-Iroquois word for village or settlement. This modest, generic name stuck. Cartier used "Canada" to refer to the entire area subject to its chief, Donnacona. The name was soon applied to a much larger area: maps in 1547 designated everything north of the St. Lawrence River as "Canada." Cartier also called The St. Lawrence River the "Riviere de Canada," a name used until the early 1600s. By 1616, although the entire region was formally known as New France, the area along the great river was still called Canada. Explorers and fur traders opened up territory to the west and to the south and the area depicted as Canada grew. In the early 1700s the name referred to all lands in what is now the American Midwest and as far south as present day Louisiana. The first use of "Canada" as an official name came in 1791 when the Province of Quebec was divided into the colonies of Upper and Lower Canada. In 1841, the two Canadas were again united under one name, the Province of Canada. At the time of Confederation in 1867, the new country assumed the title The Dominion of Canada. There were only four provinces Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. There are now ten provinces and three territories. (Ref: M&B; Tooley)
General Description: Paper thickness and quality: - Heavy & stable Paper color: - White Age of map color: - Early Colors used: - Green, yellow General color appearance: - Authentic Paper size: - 21in x 16 1/2in (535mm x 420mm) Plate size: - 18in x 14in (460mm x 355mm) Margins: - Min 1in (25mm)
Imperfections: Margins: - NonePlate area: - Folds as issuedVerso: - None