Welcome to Classical Images!
Description:This fine original copper-plate engraved antique print, portrait of a Man of Christmas Sound on the S.W. Coast of Terra del Fuego Chile, visited by Captain James Cook during his 2nd Voyage of Discovery to the South Seas in December 1774, was engraved by Robert Benard - after William Hodges - and was published in the 1778 French edition of Capt. James Cooks 2nd Voyage of Discovery to the South Seas A voyage towards the South Pole, and round the World. Performed in His Majestys ships the Resolution and Adventure, in the years 1772, 1773, 1774, and 1775..... Paris : Hotel de Thou ......1778Cook Journal.......followed the coast of Tierra del Fuego (Chile) at the end of December 1774 making for Cape Horn. The coast comprised of hundreds of small islands, some of which were charted and named but many were not. The Resolution was kept at a safe distance from the shore and soon passed the Grafton Islands, Noir Island, Tower Rocks and the Gilbert Islands (named after the Master). On the 19th they passed a large inlet, which is now called Cook Bay. Cook needed provisions and to check the state of the Resolution,so he found an inlet suitable for this purpose on the 20th. They stayed there for eight days over Christmas, which earned the inlet the name Christmas Sound..........
General Definitions:Paper thickness and quality: - Heavy and stablePaper color : - off whiteAge of map color: -Colors used: -General color appearance: -Paper size: - 10in x 8in (255mm x 205mm)Plate size: - 9 1/2in x 7 1/4in (240mm x 185mm)Margins: - Min 1/2in (12mm)
Imperfections:Margins: - Light soiling in marginsPlate area: - NoneVerso: - None
Background: Tierra del Fuego Spanish for Land of Fire is an archipelago off the southernmost tip of the South American mainland, across the Strait of Magellan. The archipelago consists of the main island, Isla Grande de Tierra del Fuego, with an area of 48,100 km2 and a group of many islands, including Cape Horn and Diego Ramírez Islands. Tierra del Fuego is divided between Chile and Argentina, with the latter controlling the eastern half of the main island and the former the western half plus the islands south of Beagle Channel.The name Tierra del Fuego derives from the Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan sailing for the Spanish Crown, in 1520 he was the first European to visit these lands. He believed he was seeing the many fires (fuego in Spanish) of the Yaghan, which were visible from the sea, and that the Indians were waiting in the forests to ambush his armada.In 1525 Francisco de Hoces was the first to speculate that Tierra del Fuego was one or more islands rather than part of what was then called Terra Australis. Francis Drake in 1578 and a Dutch VOC expedition in 1616 learned more about the geography. The latter expedition named Cape Horn.William Hodges RA 1744 – 1797 was an English painter. He was a member of James Cooks second voyage to the Pacific Ocean, and is best known for the sketches and paintings of locations he visited on that voyage, including Table Bay, Tahiti, Easter Island, and the Antarctic.Between 1772 and 1775 Hodges accompanied James Cook to the Pacific as the expeditions artist. Many of his sketches and wash paintings were adapted as engravings in the original published edition of Cooks journals from the voyage.Most of the large-scale landscape oil paintings from his Pacific travels for which Hodges is best known were finished after his return to London; he received a salary from the Admiralty for the purposes of completing them. These paintings depicted a stronger light and shadow than had been usual in European landscape tradition. Contemporary art critics complained that his use of light and colour contrasts gave his paintings a rough and unfinished appearance.Hodges also produced many valuable portrait sketches of Pacific islanders and scenes from the voyage involving members of the expedition..Robert Bénard 1734 – 1777 was an 18th-century French engraver.Specialized in the technique of engraving, Robert Ménard is mainly famous for having supplied a significant amount of plates (at least 1,800) to the Encyclopédie by Diderot & d\'Alembert from 1751.Later, publisher Charles-Joseph Panckoucke reused many of his productions to illustrate the works of his catalog.