Welcome to Classical Images!
Description:This fine original copper-plate engraved of the Garden Room of Hall Barn in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, England, designed by the famous Scottish architect and publisher Colen Campbell was engraved in 1724 - dated - by the Dutch engraver Henry Hulsbergh - and was published in the 1724 edition of Campbells monumental architectural publication Vitruvius Britannicus or The British Architect. LondonHall Barn was also the location used in the filming of the TV series Downton Abbey as the Loxley House.
General Definitions:Paper thickness and quality: - Heavy and stablePaper color : - off whiteAge of map color: - OriginalColors used: - Yellow, green, blue, pinkGeneral color appearance: - AuthenticPaper size: - 15in x 11 1/2in (380mm x 295mm)Plate size: - 15in x 9 1/2in (380mm x 235mm)Margins: - Min 1/2in (12mm)
Imperfections:Margins: - NonePlate area: - NoneVerso: - None
Background:Hall Barn is a historic country house located in Beaconsfield, South Bucks district, in Buckinghamshire, England.The Hall Barn estate was bought by Anne Waller in 1624. The house was built in the late-17th century by her son Edmund Waller, a poet and Member of Parliament at various times between 1624 and 1679. His grandson added the south wing. The estate was sold by his family in 1832 to Sir Gore Ouseley, 1st Baronet, who rebuilt the southern facade and was High Sheriff of Buckinghamshire for 1835.Edward Levy-Lawson, 1st Baron Burnham bought the estate in 1880 and made a number of renovations and improvement and the estate remains under the management of the Lawson family - Hugh Lawson, 6th Baron Burnham - in the early 21st century.There were royal visits to the estate, including from the Duke of Cambridge in November 1902. The Princess Royal took the salute at Hall Barn in the 1940s at the Girl Guide County Rally.During the Second World War, the house was used as a hospital supplies unit. In November 1946, the Hall Barn Estate was reported in Tatler as being the lovely home and venue for the wedding reception for extended family and friends of the newly-wed daughter of the charming Lord and Lady Burnham.Hall Barn has been used as a filming location for various films and series. In Gosford Park (2001) the opening sequence outside Lady Trenthams home was shot there, and the temple used as the scene for lunch after the shoot. Midsomer Murders Season 7, Episode 4 (2004) Sins of Commission, prominently features the black gatehouse to Hall Barn. It featured in the series Downton Abbey as Loxley House, the home of Sir Anthony Strallan. The location was also used in the 1981 Oscar-winning film Chariots of Fire as the home of the composite character Lord Andrew Lindsay, who memorably practiced his hurdling skills on the lawn by perching filled champagne glasses on each hurdle to determine if hed touched the hurdles or not on each jump. Hall Barn was also featured in the mini-series Sense and Sensibility (2008 miniseries), and used as the location for Delaford House. Black Beauty Film (1994)Vitruvius Britannicus or The British Architect is from one of the finest works on architecture ever produced. Colen Campbell published the work in London in 1725. The engravings from this work feature illustrations, plans, and cross sections of English country houses and parks.Campbell was the chief architect to the Prince of Wales. His work served as a design book that led to the construction of many of Britain’s great houses. Vitruvius Britannicus established Palladian architecture as the dominant style England in the 18th century.Vitruvius Britannicus documented the buildings of some of the greatest architects of the times including Indigo Jones, Sir Christopher Wren, and Colen Campbell himself. The work is essential to the study of 17th and 18th century design and architecture in England.
Campbell, Colen 1676 - 1729Campbell was a pioneering Scottish architect and architectural writer, credited as a founder of the Georgian style. For most of his career, he resided in Italy and England.A descendant of the Campbells of Cawdor Castle, he is believed to be the Colinus Campbell who graduated from the University of Edinburgh in July 1695. He initially trained as a lawyer, being admitted to the Faculty of Advocates on 29 July 1702.He had travelled in Italy from 1695–1702 and is believed to be the Colinus Campbell who signed the visitors book at the University of Padua in 1697. He is believed to have trained in and studied architecture under James Smith, this belief is strengthened by Campbell owning several drawings of buildings designed by Smith.His major published work, Vitruvius Britannicus, or the British Architect... appeared in three volumes between 1715 and 1725. (Further volumes using the successful title were assembled by Woolfe and Gandon, and published in 1767 and 1771, see below.) Vitruvius Britannicus was the first architectural work to originate in England since John Shutes Elizabethan First Groundes. In the empirical vein, it was not a treatise but basically a catalogue of design, containing engravings of English buildings by Inigo Jones and Sir Christopher Wren, as well as Campbell himself and other prominent architects of the era.In the introduction that he appended and in the brief descriptions, Campbell belaboured the excesses of Baroque style and declared British independence from foreigners while he dedicated the volume to Hanoverian George I. The third volume (1725) has several grand layouts of gardens and parks, with straight allées, for courts and patterned parterres and radiating rides through wooded plantations, in a Baroque manner that was rapidly becoming old-fashioned.Buildings were shown in plan, section and elevation, but also some were in a birds-eye perspective. The drawings and designs contained in the book were under way before Campbell was drawn into the speculative scheme. The success of the volumes was instrumental in popularising neo-Palladian Architecture in Great Britain and America during the 18th century. For example, Plate 16 of Vitruvius Britannicus, a rendering of Somerset House in London, was an inspiration for American architect Peter Harrison when he designed the Brick Market in Newport, Rhode Island, in 1761.Campbell was influenced as a young man by James Smith (ca 1645 – 1731), the pre-eminent Scots architect of his day, and an early neo-Palladian whom Campbell called the most experienced architect of Scotland (Vitruvius Britannicus, ii).The somewhat promotional volume, with its excellently rendered engravings, came at a propitious moment at the beginning of a boom in country house and villa building among the Whig oligarchy. Campbell was quickly taken up by Lord Burlington, who replaced James Gibbs with Campbell at Burlington House in London and set out to place himself at the center of English neo-Palladian architecture. In 1718, Campbell was appointed deputy to the amateur gentleman who had replaced Wren as Surveyor General of the Royal Board of Works, an appointment that Burlington is certain to have pressed, but a short-lived one. When Benson, the new Surveyor was turned out of office, Campbell went with him.Later Volumes There are some later volumes also published under the name Vitruvius Brittanicus, but they are not connected to Colen Campbells work, issued between 1715-1725. In 1739 a volume was issued by Badeslade and Rocque, described as Volume 4. However, this had little in common with Campbell, comprising mainly topographical perspective views of houses (54 plates). Between 1765–1771, Woolfe and Gandon published their Volumes 4 & 5 (with 79 plus 75 plates). They discounted Badeslades volume, believing their work to be a more correct continuation of Campbell, hence numbering it as Volume 4. The plates are indeed mostly plans and elevations of buildings largely in the Palladian style, most dating from after 1750. The various Volumes are fully described in Harris.- Wanstead House, Essex: ca 1713/4 – 20 (illustrated left) In the first volume of Vitruvius Britannicus the most influential designs were two alternatives for a palatial Wanstead House, Essex, for the merchant-banker Sir Richard Child, of which the second design was already under way when the volume was published. (Campbell claimed that Wanstead House had Great Britains first classical portico, but this accolade probably belongs to The Vyne, Hampshire.- Burlington House, London 1717. Remodelled the front and provided an entrance gateway for Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington (Remodelled in 1868 and the gateway demolished.- Stourhead, Wiltshire, 1721–24, as a seat for the London-based banker Henry Hoare. Wings were added in the later 18th century, and Campbells portico was not executed (though to his design) until 1841. The famous landscape garden round a lake, somewhat apart from the house, was developed after Campbells death, by Henry Flitcroft.- Pembroke House, Whitehall, London, for Henry Herbert, 9th Earl of Pembroke, 1723, a London house in a prominent location for the heir of Jones Wilton House. It was rebuilt in 1757 and demolished in 1913. Lord Herbert (as he then was) was inspired by it to design the similar Marble Hill at Twickenham for Henrietta Howard, Countess of Suffolk, the mistress of the future George II. (Marble Hill was a 5-bay palladian villa with central pediment, raised on a high basement, with clumped screens of trees and formal turfed terraces descending to the Thames, illustrated right, that manifest the earliest stages of the English landscape garden.- Houghton Hall, Norfolk, begun 1722, for Sir Robert Walpole, the Whig prime minister. Here Campbell was replaced by Gibbs, who capped the end pavilions with octagonal domes, and by William Kent, who designed the interiors.- Mereworth Castle, Kent 1722 – 25: Campbells most overtly palladian design, based on Villa La Rotonda, capped with a dome with no drum, through which 24 chimney flues pass to the lantern.- Waverley Abbey House, Surrey ca 1723–25 for John Aislabie (largely altered)Title page, Vitruvius Britannicus; or, The British architect, containing the plans, elevations, and sections of the regular buildings, both publick and private in Great Britain, with variety of new designs, written by Colen CampbellNos 76 and 78 Brook Street, London W1, 1725 – 26. No. 76, which survives, was Campbells own house, the designs for its interiors published in his Five Orders of architecture, (1729). It carries a blue plaque commemorating him.Compton Place, Eastbourne, Sussex, 1726 onwards, south front and extensive internal rebuilding for Sir Spencer ComptonPlumptre House, Nottingham 1724 - 30. Remodelled for John Plumptre MP.Shawfield Mansion, Glasgow (1712) demolished 1792Wanstead House, Essex (1714–15) demolished 1822Hedworth House, Chester-le-Street (1726)Hotham House, Beverley (1716–17) demolished c.1766Burlington House, London, south front, and west wing (1717) subsequently extended and several occasionsBurlington (Ten Acre Close) Estate, London, layout (1717–18)Burlington House, Great Gate and Street Wall (1718)Rolls House, Chancery Lane, London (1718), demolished 1895–96Ebberston Lodge, Ebberston, Yorkshire, including cascade (1718)34 Great Burlington Street, London (1718–19)33 Great Burlington Street, London (1719–20)32 Great Burlington Street, London (c.1720); this was Campbells own house31 Great Burlington Street, London (1719–24) rebuiltBurlington Girls Charity School, Boyle Street, London (1719–21)Wimbledon Manor House, Surrey, for Sir Theodore Janssen (1720); completion uncertainNewby Park, (now Baldersby Park), near Topcliffe, Yorkshire (1720–21)Houghton Hall, Norfolk; one of several architects to work on the building (1721–22)Stourhead, Wiltshire, the portico part of Campbells design was only added in 1840 (1721–24); interiors destroyed by fire 1902Mereworth Castle, Kent (1722–23)Pembroke Lodge, Whitehall, London; executed Henry Herbert, 9th Earl of Pembrokes design (c.1724), demolished 1756Plumptre House, Nottingham (1724)Hall Barn, Buckinghamshire, garden buildings: Great Room (only partially survives), Temple of Venus, Obelisk & Doric Pavilion (1724)Waverley Manor, Surrey (c.1725), extended 1770, damaged by fire and rebuilt 1833Greenwich Hospital, Greenwich, London; additions to Queen Mary block and Queen Anne block (1726–29)Compton Place, Eastbourne, remodelled house (1726–29)76 Brook Street, London, internal alterations (c.1726); became Campbells new homeHackney House, Hackney, London (c.1727), demolished before 1842Althorp, Northamptonshire, new stables, loggia gate (c.1729–33)Studley Royal Park, Yorkshire, the stables (c.1729) built after his death by Roger Morris