Welcome to Classical Images!
Description:This finely engraved original antique architectural engraving a plan of the Alfieri (Asti) Palace in Monferrato, Italy by Giovanni Battistaa Falda was published by Giacomo de Rossi in the 1665 edition of Il nuovo teatro delle fabriche, et edificii, in prospettiva di Roma moderna, 1665-1699. These original prints are published on beautiful heavy clean original 17th century laid Italian made paper.Palazzo Alfieri (Asti)An ancient noble home from the 13th century. In 1738, the owner, Antonio Amedeo Alfieri, decided to alter the size and restore the property, an assignment which he entrusted to his illustrious cousin, Benedetto Alfieri, who had become, in the meantime, the royal architect. Benedetto began to work on the building, transforming it into a grandiose and complex palace with a trapezoid courtyard, a garden, and an imposing façade. Eleven years later, in this very palace, the great poet Vittorio Alfieri was born, who spent part of this life here until he decided to leave the sleepy province in search of more meaningful experiences.The palace was acquired in 1901 by Conte Ottolenghi, who then donated it to the city, which turned it into a Museo in order to give the Museo Alfieriano a seat. Today, the Centro Nazionale di Studi Alfieriani (National Center of Alfierian Studies), the Biblioteca Astense (Asti Library), and the Istituto per la Storia della Resistenza (Institute for the History of the Resistance) all have their seats here.
General Definitions:Paper thickness and quality: - Heavy and stablePaper color : - off whiteAge of map color: - Colors used: - General color appearance: - Paper size: - 18in x 14in (460mm x 360mm)Plate size: - 11 1/2in x 9in (290mm x 230mm)Margins: - Min 1/2in (12mm)
Imperfections:Margins: - NonePlate area: - NoneVerso: - None
Background: Il Nuovo Teatro: One of the most important architectural projects of the seventeenth century was the urban renovation of Rome. Under the brilliant leadership of Pope Alessandro VII (1655-1667), Rome dramatically emerged as one of the most modern and beautiful cities of the new Baroque age. Within several decades spacious roadways were constructed, monumental buildings arose, and many public squares appeared with elaborate fountains and monuments. To be sure, this massive undertaking was meant to underline the absolute power of the Papacy but it also brought forth a new flowering of Italian art and architecture.The Nuovo Teatro was initiated in 1665 to depict the new Rome in a series of etchings. What it gave to future generations was a magnificent historical record of views etched by two of Italy's greatest architectural artists. The printing and publishing of these important etchings was entrusted to Giacomo de Rossi (1626-1691), the head of the most dominant Roman publishing house. Sons and nephews of de Rossi, in fact, continued the publishing house until 1738 when the business was sold to Pope Clement XII to form the basis of the Regia Calcografia.) Altogether, four sets of Nuovo Teatro were created during the seventeenth century. Volumes one (35 etchings) and two (17 etchings) were both published in the year of 1665 and dealt mainly in views of the new piazzas, gardens, terraces and their surrounding buildings. Volume 3 (38 etchings) was published in 1669 and concentrated upon the newly constructed churches of Rome. Every plate from the first three sets was both designed and etched by the influential architectural artist, Giovanni Battista Falda (1643-1678). For reasons unknown the fourth and final volume (52 etchings) did not appear until 1699. It was published by Giacomo's successor, Domenico de Rossi, and featured views of the palaces and stately homes of Rome. Each plate was designed and etched by the famous architect and etcher, Alessandro Specchi (1668-1729)