Welcome to Classical Images!
Description:This finely engraved original 1665 antique architectural print of the Sachetti Palace in Rome, Italy by Giovanni Battista Falda was published by Giacomo de Rossi in the 1665 edition of Il nuovo teatro delle fabriche, et edificii, in prospettiva di Roma moderna, 1665-1699.These original prints are published on beautiful heavy clean original 17th century laid Italian made paper.Sacchetti palace is located in Via Giulia in Rome. Its construction was carried out by Antonio da Sangallo , who wanted to make his own home, obtaining in 1542 the land and a pre-existing unfinished house owned by the Vatican Chapter III , his principal, if not exclusive, client, to whom he dedicated The coat of arms still existing but rubbed on the main facade. At the building, the architect, who used to call the "perfect palace", spent the last years of his life especially for design until 1545 ; When he died in 1546, he went to his son Horace, and the construction was completed by Nanni of Baccio Bigio .Acquired by the Ricci di Montepulciano, who took large sums for extensions and decorative works, he later passed to the Cevoli or Ceuli family, from which he took the adjoining Alley of Cefalo; In 1608 it was bought by Cardinal Ottavio Acquaviva d'Aragona Archbishop of Napleswho before 1612, the year of his death, built the chapel frescoed by Agostino Ciampelli . In 1648 Acquaviva sold the palace to the Sacchettimarquis from Florence , who owned it in full until 2015 when part of it was sold to other owners.The palace houses some of the most significant cycles of Mannerism , with works byFrancesco Salviati , to which the splendid frescoes of the Audience Hall (1553-1555) Pietro da Cortona andJacopino del Conte are to be found . Palazzo Sacchetti is used for the film The Great Beauty : "Viola, the rich and depressed friend, lives alone with her psychopathic son at Palazzo Sacchetti , in via Giulia, where she organizes a lunch where no one will be present
General Definitions:Paper thickness and quality: - Heavy and stablePaper color : - off whiteAge of map color: - Colors used: - General color appearance: - Paper size: - 18in x 14in (460mm x 360mm)Plate size: - 11 1/2in x 9in (290mm x 230mm)Margins: - Min 1/2in (12mm)
Imperfections:Margins: - NonePlate area: - NoneVerso: - None
Background: Il Nuovo Teatro: One of the most important architectural projects of the seventeenth century was the urban renovation of Rome. Under the brilliant leadership of Pope Alessandro VII (1655-1667), Rome dramatically emerged as one of the most modern and beautiful cities of the new Baroque age. Within several decades spacious roadways were constructed, monumental buildings arose, and many public squares appeared with elaborate fountains and monuments. To be sure, this massive undertaking was meant to underline the absolute power of the Papacy but it also brought forth a new flowering of Italian art and architecture.The Nuovo Teatro was initiated in 1665 to depict the new Rome in a series of etchings. What it gave to future generations was a magnificent historical record of views etched by two of Italy's greatest architectural artists. The printing and publishing of these important etchings was entrusted to Giacomo de Rossi (1626-1691), the head of the most dominant Roman publishing house. Sons and nephews of de Rossi, in fact, continued the publishing house until 1738 when the business was sold to Pope Clement XII to form the basis of the Regia Calcografia.) Altogether, four sets of Nuovo Teatro were created during the seventeenth century. Volumes one (35 etchings) and two (17 etchings) were both published in the year of 1665 and dealt mainly in views of the new piazzas, gardens, terraces and their surrounding buildings. Volume 3 (38 etchings) was published in 1669 and concentrated upon the newly constructed churches of Rome. Every plate from the first three sets was both designed and etched by the influential architectural artist, Giovanni Battista Falda (1643-1678). For reasons unknown the fourth and final volume (52 etchings) did not appear until 1699. It was published by Giacomo's successor, Domenico de Rossi, and featured views of the palaces and stately homes of Rome. Each plate was designed and etched by the famous architect and etcher, Alessandro Specchi (1668-1729)