Edward Wells (1667-1727)
Edward Wells (1667-1727) was an English clergyman, geographer, and cartographer. He was born in Oxfordshire and educated at Christ Church, Oxford. After his ordination in 1693, he became a fellow of All Souls College, Oxford, where he taught mathematics and astronomy.
Wells is best known for his cartographic work. In 1700, he published a new edition of Gerardus Mercator's Atlas, which he had translated into English. He also published an atlas of his own, titled "A New Set of Maps both of Antient and Present Geography," which was first published in 1700 and went through several editions.
Wells was particularly interested in the Holy Land and wrote several works on biblical geography. His "A New Set of Maps and Globes, Accompanied with Instructions for the Use of the Same, and Particularly Designed for the Use of Schools" (1700) included a map of the Holy Land, and he later published a work titled "An Historical Geography of the Old and New Testament" (1711), which included maps of biblical regions.
Wells also produced works on general geography, such as "A Geography with all the New Discoveries" (1712), which was aimed at a popular audience, and "A Compendium of Geography" (1720), which was intended for use in schools.
In addition to his cartographic work, Wells was a member of the Royal Society and made significant contributions to the fields of astronomy and mathematics. He was also a supporter of Isaac Newton's theories and helped to popularize them.
Wells died in 1727 and was buried in the chapel of All Souls College, Oxford. His cartographic works continued to be popular and influential throughout the 18th century.