Welcome to Classical Images!
Description: This large original copper-plate engraved antique print by Johannes (Jan) Kip, after Leonard Knyff, was published in the 1724 Joseph Smith edition of Britannia Illustrata or Nouveau Theatre de la Grande Bretagne. This beautifully engraved original antique print is testimony to the fine, detailed work produced by Jan Kip.
Britannia Illustrata was first issued in 1707 by David Mortier as a single volume containing 80 topographical etchings by Johannes Kip, after drawings by Leonard Knyff. Many are birds eye views of country seats, but there are also a number of interesting London views. The series was first reissued and expanded into two volumes in 1708-1713, and provided with a second French title Nouveau Theatre de la Grande Bretagne. An expanded edition of Britannia Illustrata was re-published by Joseph Smith in 1724 under its French title, Nouveau Theatre..., containing many of the plates from the original edition by Mortier and also containing may new plates of places, churches, cathedrals and architecture of the landed gentry.
Background:An abbey was founded on the site around 655 by either Saxulf or Peada, the first Christian king of Mercia. The abbey was conconsecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury in 655. at the end of the 9th century, the Danes invaded and raised the abbey to the ground. The abbey lay in ruins until the Bishop of Winchester, Aethelwold with help from King Edgar rebuilt the abbey and consecrated it in 972, in the presence of Archbishops Dunstan of Canterbury and Oswald of York. The second abbey was run under the rule of the Benedictines. The abbey dedicated to St. Peter had a wall built around it for defense and the name changed to Burgh St. Peter, where Burgh means fortified. In 1066, the abbot of Peterborough, Leofric, stood at Harold's side at Hastings but was wounded and died. His successor Brando mistakenly supported Edgar the Atheling instead of William and when William enforced his rule, Brando had to pay William a fine. A Norman abbot was installed at Peterborough when Brando died in 1069. In 1116 fire struck the abbey and the building was badly damaged. Building work begun in 1118. Building work took 120 years to complete. The building was consecrated in 1238 by the Bishop of Lincoln, Grosseteste. The abbey became a Cathedral in 1541 after the abbeys were dissolved in 1539. Notable people buried here are Catherine of Aragon, divorced from Henry VIII, and Mary, Queen of Scots was buried here first before being moved to Westminster Abbey.
General Description: Paper thickness and quality: - Heavy and stable Paper colour: - off white Age of map colour: - Colours used: - General colour appearance: - Paper size: - 26 1/2in x 22in (670mm x 560mm) Plate size: - 23in x 18in (585mm x 460mm) Margins: - min 1in (25mm) Imperfections: Margins: - None Plate area: - None Verso: - None