Welcome to Classical Images!
Description:This fine original copper-plate engraved antique print of the Treaty Elm, where William Penn signed a Treaty with the Lenape Indians in 1683, was published in the 1807 French edition of John Marshall\'s The Life of George Washington.This 5 volume publication outlined the life & times of Washington, containing an atlas volume with numerous maps and engravings of the campaigns and battles of Washington from the American Revolutionary Wars. (Ref: Tooley; M&B)
General Definitions:Paper thickness and quality: - Heavy and stablePaper color : - off whiteAge of map color: -Colors used: -General color appearance: -Paper size: - 11 1/2in x 9in (295mm x 230mm)Plate size: - 10in x 8in (255mm x 205mm)Margins: - Min 1in (25mm)
Imperfections:Margins: - NonePlate area: - NoneVerso: - None
Background: In the year 1683, the land that is now Penn Treaty Park was part of the Lenape village of Shackamaxon. Under an elm tree immortalized in a painting by Benjamin West, William Penn famously entered into a treaty of peace with a chief of the Lenape Turtle Clan named Tamanend (later referred to by the Dutch as Tammany or Saint Tammany).Penn, unarmed in accord with Quaker custom and speaking the Algonquian language, proclaimed that, We meet on the broad pathway of good faith and good-will; no advantage shall be taken on either side, but all shall be openness and love. We are the same as if one man’s body was to be divided into two parts; we are of one flesh and one blood. Tamanend replied, We will live in love with William Penn and his children as long as the creeks and rivers run, and while the sun, moon, and stars endure.This peace between the Lenape Turtle Clan and Penn\'s successors would endure almost a century, until the Penn\'s Creek Massacre of 1755. It was remarked upon by Voltaire, who called it ... the only treaty never sworn to and never broken.This location became part of the Fairman Estate and was purchased by Captain Anthony Palmer around 1730 just before he founded the town of Kensington.The famous elm tree under which the treaty was conducted fell during a storm in 1810. Soon thereafter, a monument was erected on the site where the elm tree was located to commemorate the treaty. The small obelisk remained tucked away in the northwest corner of a lumber yard that sat on the site, until actions were taken in 1893 to acquire the land and build the park that exists today. The park officially opened on October 28, 1893.After the original tree fell, the Oliver and Vanduzen families took cuttings and seedlings from the tree at that time. They gave offspring of the great Elm to Pennsylvania Hospital, University of Pennsylvania and Haverford College.On May 6, 2010 at Penn Treaty Park an Elm Tree descendant was planted again. Haverford College Arboretum donated a descendant of the Treaty Elm. The Friends of Penn Treaty Park provided the funding to transport the tree and plant the new tree. Pastor Norwood, from the Tribal Council of the Nanticoke Lenni Lenape and Board member of the Penn Treaty Museum provided a blessing. Fairmount Park assisted.