Welcome to Classical Images!
This fine original antique print of the Old St Pauls Cathedral in London by Daniel King was published just prior to the Great Fire of London in the 1656 edition of his Cathedral and Conventual Churches of England and Wales.
Old St Paul's Cathedral was the medieval cathedral of the City of London that, until 1666, stood on the site of the present St Paul's Cathedral. Built in 1087–1314 and dedicated to Saint Paul, the cathedral was the fourth church on the site at Ludgate Hill. Work began during the reign of William the Conqueror after a fire in 1087 that destroyed much of the city. Work took more than 200 years, and construction was delayed by another fire in 1135. The church was consecrated in 1240 and enlarged again in 1256 and the early 14th century. At its completion in the middle of the 14th century, the cathedral was one of the longest churches in the world and had one of the tallest spires and some of the finest stained glass. The presence of the shrine of Saint Erkenwald made the cathedral a pilgrimage site during the Medieval period. In addition to serving as the seat of the Diocese of London, the building developed a reputation as a hub of the City of London, with the nave aisle, "Paul's walk", known as a centre for business and the London grapevine. After the Reformation, the open-air pulpit in the churchyard, St Paul's Cross, became the stage for radical evangelical preaching and Protestant bookselling. The cathedral was already severely in decline by the 17th century. Restoration work by Inigo Jones in the 1620s was halted by the English Civil War. Sir Christopher Wren was attempting another restoration in 1666 when the cathedral was destroyed in the Great Fire of London. After demolition of the old structure, the present, domed cathedral was erected on the site, with an English Baroque design by Wren
Daniel King: 1616 - 1661 Topographical etcher, born and based in Chester, England. King was the son of a baker, and was apprenticed in Chester in 1630. He was admitted to the Chester Painter's Company in 1639, and continued working there until about 1643. He then moved away from the town, but sporadically re-appears in the Company lists until 1661 when he is recorded as dead. His etchings all belong to the 1650s, and all emerge from his association with the famous 17th century antiquarian Sir William Dugdale. Anthony Wood recorded that he had been robbed by his wife, and died heart-broken near York House in the Strand. Dugdale later fell out with King, calling him 'a most ignorant silly fellow' and 'an arrant knave'. (Ref: M&B; Tooley)
General Description: Paper thickness and quality: - Heavy and stable Paper color: - off white Age of map color: - Colors used: - General color appearance: - Paper size: - 15 1/2in x 13 1/2in (395mm x 340mm) Plate size: - 14 1/2in x 9in (370mm x 230mm)Margins: - Min 1/2in (10mm)
Imperfections: Margins: - Small repair to bottom of margin, no lossPlate area: - Folds as issuedVerso: - None