1842 D Urville & Marescot Antique Print King Mapou-Teoa & Envoy of Mangareva Gambier

Publisher : Jules Sébastien César Dumont d Urville

Description:
This large, magnificent, original antique lithograph print of King Mapou-Teoa and his envoy who boarded D Urvilles ship the Astrolabe in August 1838, by Jacques Marescot-Duthilleul, one of the artists,draftsman aboard the Astrolabe, during D Urvilles second voyage to the South Seas between 1837 - 1840, was engraved by Adolphe Jean-Baptiste Bayot and published in the 1842 1st edition of Dumont d UrvillesVoyage au Pole Sud et dans l Océanie sur les corvettes l Astrolabe et la Zélée : Exécuté par ordre du roi pendant les années 1837-1838-1839-1840.
These large magnificent lithographs from the 1st edition are extremely hard to find, most only found in museums or in private hands, and due to the artistry are a must for any collection.

Jacques, Marie, Eugene Marescot Duthilleul1809 - 1839 Lieutenant in the French navy and artist who accompanied Dumont D Urville on the Corvette The Astrolabe on D Urvilles 2nd Voyage to the South Seas, Australia and Antarctica between 1837 and 1840. He was responsible for a number of exquisite drawings of peoples and views during the voyage that were later used for lithograph prints for publication
In 1837, a new mission of exploration in the southern Pacific Ocean was entrusted by King Louis-Philippe to Captain Dumont d Urville. This mission included improvement of scientific knowledge on the islands of the South Pacific and Indonesia, and exploration of the Antarctic continent.
The first phase of the expedition was the crossing the Sea of Weddel sea ice, on the coast of the Antarctic Ice Sheet. The second phase between May 1838 &o December 1839 consisting of visits to many South Pacific Islands: Marquesas, Polynesia, Fiji, Solomon Islands, New Guinea, Carolinas, Marianas, Moluccas and finally Sunda Islands.
At the end of this second phase, after eighteen months of difficult navigation in unhealthy climates, the sanitary condition of the crews of the two corvettes reached a critical state. During the last voyage from Sumatra (Lampang Bay) to Hobart Tasmania, eighteen patients died, including Lieutenant Marescot-Duthilleul.

General Definitions:
Paper thickness and quality: - Heavy and stable
Paper color : - off white
Age of map color: -
Colors used: -
General color appearance: -
Paper size: - 21in x 15in (535mm x 380mm)
Plate size: - 21in x 15in (535mm x 380mm)
Margins: - Min 2in (50mm)

Imperfections:
Margins: - Repair to top margin, no loss
Plate area: - None
Verso: - None

Background: 
Mangareva is the central and largest island of the Gambier Islands in French Polynesia. It is surrounded by smaller islands: Taravai in the southwest, Aukena and Akamaru in the southeast, and islands in the north.
Mangareva was once heavily forested and supported a large population that traded with other islands via canoes. However, excessive logging by the islanders during the 10th to the 15th centuries resulted in deforestation of the island, with disastrous results for its environment and economy.
The first European to arrive at Mangareva was British Captain James Wilson in 1797 on the ship Duff. Wilson named the island group in honour of Admiral James Gambier, who had helped him to equip his vessel.
Mangareva along with its dependencies in the Gambier Islands were ruled by a line of kings and later regents that ruled until the French formally annexed the islands in 1881. A French protectorate was requested on 16 February 1844 by King Maputeoa but was never ratified by the French government. On 4 February 1870, Prince Regent Arone Teikatoara and the Mangarevan government formally withdrew the protectorate request and asked the French to not intervene in the kingdom\'s affairs. After Father Honoré Laval was removed to Tahiti, the native government changed its stance and an agreement between Prince Regent Arone and the French colonial authority in Tahiti was signed reaffirming the protectorate status on 30 November 1871. The Gambier Islands were finally annexed on 21 February 1881 under Prince Regent Bernardo Putairi and approved by the President of France on 30 January 1882.

$325.00 $425.00