This large original black and white
copper-plate engraved view of Oford Cathedral - in the English county of
Oxford - was
drawn by Johnnes Kip (1653-1722) and engraved by James Collins for Joseph
Smith's monumental work Nouveau Theatre de la Grande Bretagne published
between 1724-8 (This print also appeared in Britannia Illustrata by
D. Mortier (brother of Pierre).
This is a finely engraved print being testimony to the beautiful and detailed
work produced by Kip whose eye for detail was one of the most acknowledged of
For over 1300 there has been a church on the
present day site of St Peters starting with a small Anglo-Saxon monastery early
in the 11th century when Benedictine monks came to live and work here. William
the Conqueror ordered the construction of the present building in 1089. It was
called St. Peter's Abbey and a community of monks lived and worshipped here.
Henry VIII dissolved the Abbey, and in 1541 this church became the Cathedral for
the new diocese of Gloucester.
Johannes Kip was a draughtsman and engraver, who worked
first in his native Amsterdam before moving to London at the end of the
seventeenth century. He did portraits, views, and book illustrations.
.(Ref: M&B, Tooley)
Paper thickness and quality:
- Heavy and stable
Paper colour: - off white
Age of map colour: -
Colours used: -
General colour appearance: -
Paper size: - 24 1/2in x 19 1/2in (610mm
Plate size: - 23n x 15in
(585mm x 380mm)
Margins: - min 1/4in (6mm)
Margins: - None
Plate area: - None
Verso: - None